Along with restructuring on Iran's Electricity Industry based on Item (G) of the note number 12 (below) of budget law in (2004), Iran Grid Management Co. started its activity in the second half of 2005.
Article (G), note 12:
"Since 2004, Iran Power Transmission, Generation and Distribution Company (Tavanir) is authorized to purchase the whole shares of one of its subsidiaries through its own financial resources, and transfer the entire tasks of national grid management, all the transactions, and establishing the power market and transit to this company."
The statute of the company proposed by the Ministry of Energy, confirmed by the Management and Planning Organization (MPO), approved by the Council of Ministers, and verified by the Guardian Council, eventually was served to the Ministry of Energy by the Cabinet.
Objectives and Scope of Activity:
· Conducting and monitoring utilization of production and transmission of the national network in order to maintain sustainability and security of the network and the country's secure power supply.
· Providing open access to the network for governmental and non-governmental applicants in order to transact and transmit power.
· Preparing the conditions for competitive transactions, establishing, operating, and developing power market and stocks.
· Adopting effective policies and operating necessary measures in order to ensure power supply, expanding the participation of non-governmental sectors, and developing the competition in power generation and distribution within the framework of the Ministry of Energy.
Regional Dispatching Centers of the Country:
Duties and Missions :
· To expand, outfit and manage the National Dispatching Center, and also to coordinate and supervise the monitoring and metering regional centers of the network.
Note: For attaining a sustainable and secure grid, all the beneficiaries and owners of Generation and Transmission facilities which are connected to the National grid are obliged to follow up and timely execute the decisions made by the national and area operating centers and provide required information and stats.
· Determining and notifying the arrangements related to electric power generation and transmission facilities and required programs for sustainable power supply.
· Supervising on proper implementation of regulations, standards, and instructions relating to the company's fields of activity, and caring to observe the arrangements related to the facilities and programs by the owners and beneficiaries of the electric power generation and transmission.
Note: the company as the operator of the Ministry of Energy is authorized to inspect all or part of generation transmission facilities of its affiliated companies at any time it deems necessary.
The mentioned companies are obliged to observe and execute guidelines of the company as stipulated in the paragraph 2.
· Conducting and executing the operations and expanding the power market and stocks.
· Bulk transaction of electricity inside and outside the country as well as monitoring such activities conducted by legal or real entities under the framework of rules and regulations of the electricity market.
· Managing access and transmission of power in the grid, including transmission inside and outside the country, as well as taking necessary measures to prevent situations which limit competing in the electricity market.
· Making possible for the Electricity generated by the non-governmental power plants and suppliers to pass through the national grid.
· Taking required measures to access the national grid under the approved regulations framework and fair competition among applicants, either suppliers (regardless of being a generator or based on the regulations have electricity to supply in the national grid) or consumers ( regardless of receiving electricity for his own consumption or under the regulations have the intention to supply it to others), governmental or non- governmental which have got license from the Ministry of Energy to transact and transmit electricity.
· Coordinating and Managing information transmission systems in the power grid of the country.
· Developing and publishing periodic reports of sustainability and security of production and transmission of the network, and the conditions of competition in the power market. Also providing suggestions about requirements of the national grid to the generation and transmission and other facilities (including protection and telecommunication systems, optimal provision of spinning reserve, frequency control facilities and reactive power compensation) in order to obtain sustainability and security of the network and prevent the conditions which limit the access or competition in the power market and presenting of such reports to the regional electricity companies, Tavanir Co. , and the Ministry of Energy.
· Formulating the regulations, standards and instructions related to the objectives and subject of activity of the company including fixed instructions of utilization and presenting them to the Ministry of Energy for approval.
· Supporting research, technology development, and educational activities. Also Training the required experts in the company's field of activity, and cooperation and synergy with other institutes in this regard.
· Carrying out any operation and transaction which is necessary for the company's objectives and in line with the company's subject of activity.
· Performing all duties which Tavanir Co. or the Ministry of Energy assigns to the company according to the National Power Authority law which was enacted in 1976 as well as other related laws and regulations.